Here at J.T. Roth Construction we want to thank all service men and women, past and present for everything they do for our country! To go with Veteran's Day there is a great article in The Oregonian that talks about VA loans and how veterans can also qualify for jumbo loans. Theres some great information in it and not to mention we get a little cameo ;) Check it out here!!
Sunday, November 11, 2012
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Getting your home ready for winter
As we approach the cold winter weather there are some maintenance items that you the homeowner can do to protect your home from the elements. We would offer the following:
1.Turn off exterior faucets - if there is a manual shut off for your faucet then turn this off first and then open the spigot. It wouldn’t hurt to cover with a foam cover, which can be purchased at your local hardware store.
2. Clean all debris away from foundation vents and close them. If there is no cover you can purchase foam plugs from your hardware store.
3. Check your furnace filters. Remember these need to be replaced twice a year, in the spring and fall. This will help your furnace run more efficiently, cutting down on your heating costs.
4. Check smoke detectors and change batteries.
5. If you have a chance, pressure wash your driveway and sidewalks to eliminate mold and algae.... Mold and algae become very slippery when wet and can cause accidents
6. Check and clean your gutters and downspouts. Leaves and debris in the gutter can become very heavy and cause your gutters to get clogged.
7. Check your furnace thermostat, pop the cover and if there are batteries they should be changed out with new ones.
8. If you have a water feature make sure it is unplugged and blow air through the pipes to clear all water. Water in the pipes can freeze which makes the pipes very fragile and can break.
9. If you use rock salt on your concrete driveways and walkways make sure to use a non-iodized rock salt. Regular rock salt can breakdown the top layers of concrete and erode the surface.
You have to treat your home like a car... It needs to be maintained. If you have any questions on how to do any of these suggested items please visit your owners manual. If you cant find the answer in that then Google can be your friend ;)
One last thing, make sure you have an emergency kit ready mother nature is very unpredictable. This could include but not limited to candles, batteries, flashlights, water, non-perishable foods, a battery powered radio (to get news updates), etc.... We have all seen the devastation on the east coast and if anything should teach us to always be ready. Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone on the east coast and if you have family or friends over there you are in our thoughts at JT Roth Construction.
The JT Roth Construction team wishes everyone a very safe and happy holiday with family and loved ones.
Thank you for your support!!
JT Roth Construction